Dermcare Pyohex Medicated Shampoo is a topical antibacterial shampoo containing 3% Chlorhexidine Gluconate. It is an aid in the treatment of superficial bacterial skin infections in dogs.
Superficial bacterial infections are quite common in dogs with skin disease. It is usually a secondary infection - there is an underlying condition which allows the normal resident bacteria of the skin to overgrow and cause an active infection. Primary infection - infection without an underlying cause, can also occur but is less common.
Underlying causes for secondary bacterial infections can include:
- Allergy - pollen, grass, food (protein), fleas
- Hormonal or endocrine diseases
- Parasitic infestations such as fleas, mites or lice.
It is important to treat the secondary infection as well as the underlying condition for optimal management of the skin disease
Bacterial skin infections in dogs can have a wide variety of symptoms or appearances.
Common appearances of bacterial infections include:
- Circular rings of scale or redness (epidermal collarettes)
- Inflamed and exudative areas of skin commonly referred to as hotspots